View Poll Results: Garage Kit figure Wave 0 (part 1)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squirrel Girl

8 30.77%
  • Howard the Duck

3 11.54%
  • Dr. Bong

0 0%
  • Rocket Racoon (articulated)

12 46.15%
  • Kid Deadpool (articulated)

3 11.54%
  • Patch version of Wolverine

3 11.54%
  • Mr. Fixit version of Hulk

8 30.77%
  • Hit-Monkey

3 11.54%
  • Orphan

0 0%
  • U-Go Girl

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
  1. Jump To Top | #1
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Garage Kit Figures (forum action figure subscription idea)

So, I brought up this idea on the regular appreciation thread and it seemed to get some traction with Vortious. Who else would be interested in such a thing? Vortious is definitely in, I'm in (for as much as that counts).

The idea, as it was pitched, but it's open to revision, is to make a limited run of pieces funded by pre-orders from other members. Then we make the kits and distribute to those that pre-ordered. The original idea was to treat it as a crowd funded figure subscription service in the MU style. Customs would be decided by vote or through the Custom of the Week thread. Right now I'm looking to judge interest from people who would buy plus looking for involvement from any of the great customizers on this forum. I don't want to call anyone else out now, because I don't want to speak for anyone who hasn't spoken yet, but Vortious is really supportive of this so we thought about taking it to the next level.

So if you are interested, as either a consumer or a contributor here's the place to sound off or you can PM me. If we can get this off the ground we could have some really great figures without having to wait on Hasbro to do them, figures made by us for us. What do you all think? Ideas, questions, interest, suggestions, whatever.
    Always fancy, never schmancy.

2. Jump To Top | #2
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I though I'd transfer the conversation from the NoodleChow thread and on the appreciation thread here so people can get caught up on what's been said already.

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleChow View Post
    i'd say the arms were sorta the most straightforward and maybe the most useful for posing so if possible and if you have a dremel, try practicing on a scrap figure to see if you can get the hang of transplanting arms into newly made shoulder holes. and the guns are megabloks halo pistols.

and that's actually a good question and i'll try my best to answer it.

the main thing about 3d printing is needing the digital models since either someone has a 3d scanner and scans each individual part and cleans up the subsequent models for printing or someone with digital sculpting experience has to model each part from scratch. as for printing, seen a few sites like shapeways which i'd like to try out at some point and there's some really great modelers making their work available to anyone with different plastic types and colors but can get kinda pricey depending on size. there's also a few good semi high quality consumer level printers out or coming out like the makerbot replicator 2 and formlab's form 1 but costs, print resolution, durability/quality, and materials may vary. so i'd say printing wise on a semi mass production scale would best be handled through shapeways or similar printing type sites if we had enough folks who can create digital models.

casting full figures or kits could could work too like how vortious was able to cast an entire SHS beast figure and has various kits available for upgrades. small figures would be perfect, bigger figures would just require more molding and casting material. so it's possible and i guess depends on costs, resin types and durability, and prolly negotiations between artists and casters or the artists casting their work themselves as well as engineering the figures in a way that would be more mold friendly.

the pre-order thing would be cool especially since it'd pool the collective talents of our community and it's a great idea. i'd say everything would be a combination of cost, communication, time, and demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancydeadpool View Post
    So I asked this question over on NoodleChow's custom thread, and holy shit check out his Facebook page, I spent quite a bit of time liking everything on there, why don't we do a figure subscription? I asked about 3D printing and NoodleChow talked about that and came back with casting, using Vortius' casting of the entire Beast figure as an example. But what if we looked into getting some of these amazing figures cast, once we get a price we pool pre-orders into a Paypal account and then we get a series made for those people who pre-ordered. The more pre-orders the less the set would cost...maybe? Obviously I've done no research but I have purchased both Joe FSS (so clearly I'm willing to spend disproportionately and throw great amounts of money at the concept) and I would really love to have Marvel Universe style figures. Especially if they are like that NC Rocket Raccoon. But maybe five to 8 figures, great customs cast and then sold maybe deciding by vote or using Custom of the Week. Either as kits that have to be done by scratch (like Vortius' Beast or kits) or as completed figures (no idea where assembly or painting would happen). Again, haven't thought this out all the way, but what do people think? Is it worth going to the effort of putting some bare bones research or is the idea DOA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortious View Post
    It's not a DOA idea at all in fact I try to put custom kits of characters together when ever possible rather than just have the heads. Since most people would rather get everything they need for a figure all at one time than having to hunt down every piece, and pay through the nose for something on ebay. I often will contact people when I see a really good custom that I could borrow parts from, and put a kit out so that others can just buy that, and put it together. Some are willing to let me borrow their items like Lee, and Psycho Pirate, and others aren't (I won't name those). I haven't asked Tom about Groot because it would be too large to be cost effective, and I didn't ask NC because he can mold and cast so I figure that he might want to sell the RR kit himself.

Now if you guys get some ideas together, and such I am most definitely up for the challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedup23 View Post
    Great idea in theory.. but the reality of it is an enormous amount of time for the person making the kits.. too much time and probably headaches associated with it.. imagine the poor guy making all of the parts and dealing with all of the fallout from people that arent 100% satisfied with the final product.. "piece A doesnt fit piece B perfectly".. "this piece has too much flashing".. "wheres my figure, its been 10 hours since I ordered it!" ... a nice fantasy, but a nightmare to make into reality.

I dont do casting or anything of that sort.. Im just thinking out loud.
    Admittedly to an extent you're right, and jointed parts are harder to make molds of since often you'll get an air bubble in the joint that needs to be dremeled out of it. Really there's little you can do to avoid that. Though I am constantly trying new self imagined techniques to avoid them. However if done right a garage kit idea isn't a bad idea. Obviously it'd have to be named something other than what it is ie. War god kit, Bird warrior kit, Billionaire genius playboy philanthropist kit, and so on.

You are also right about the possible complaint. The parts not fitting is easily fixable by either thickening the area w/ glue if the peg is a little loose, or turning a drill bit in the hole by hand if it's too tight to fit. As for the impatience I learned a long time ago that if you tell people to allow 3-4 weeks allot of newer customers will only give you about 3-4 days. When I reopened back in May someone emailed me a week after he ordered saying that he had ordered 2 weeks prior, and I simply told him that would have been impossible since I just reopened a week prior, and he ordered on such date @ such time, and he was just like oh ok thanks. So yeah it's gonna happen, but as long as you don't take 4 months or longer to get things out to people they're usually fairly reasonable.

So seriously if you guys want to start a thread to get some ideas, and a parts list for the custom kits you'd like to see let me know, and I'll see what I can do about making these things a reality.
    Agreed. But I've been thinking about this ever since I posted it, running through the logistics before we even think about money. I can assemble a kit and I have enough micromechanical knowledge to make almost any part A match part B. I know not everyone has that. But we're a community and we can make this a community project so that one person ISN'T doing everything. The only things Hasbro has that we don't is 1) lots of Money, 2) a factory and 3) a massive corporate bureaucracy that makes them beholden to the bottom line. Right here on this board we have action figure engineers, sculptors, casting & molding, painters and assemblers. It will never be a "put your order in and get them next week" kind of system. It would probably be a year from start to finish and we would have to decide if we are looking for a crew of volunteers or a crew of terribly paid workers. Then we can offer options like "completed figure" for those that want it or "assembled kit" or "bag of parts" (I would want a bag of parts but I'd gladly assemble kits on my spare time). That's also why it wouldn't be a very large run. I might be to much of an idealist but the worst that happens is nothing and this thing dies either in the planning stage or people get refunds, at middle we all get great figures in a year and at best we show Hasbro and Marvel that we don't HAVE to depend on them for our fix which may cause someone somewhere, deep in the bowels of Hasbro, to consider changes. But you're right it won't be easy and it may or may not even be cheap but how much would you pay for a NoodleChow Rocket? I've been using that one because it's awesome and it's recent but there have been dozens of awesome customs just on this thread. It's just a matter of evaluating what resources we have here, what do they cost, can we make them cost less/be more efficient and can we actually do the thing we're talking about. So if people are down to humoring the idea maybe a group of us can come together and make some awesome for the whole community.
    Responded while I was typing my opus. Here we go and if we can get guys like Vortious (or NoodleChow or any other customizers) a payday (large or small) then that would be even better. I'm in, I think it would be awesome. I know guys who have put up $300 plus on a single figure, Vision is still over $100, why not put that money towards awesome customs rather than scalpers? I put up $300 plus for the Joe FSS and I don't even play with Joe's, I just like action figures. If I could put up that money and get stuff I actually want, well, why not? I don't know what to do next as far as forum rules, if this isn't the place to talk about it then tell me where to go, if you want me to drop it altogether then I will. I don't want to clog this thread with something no one is interested in, namely me rambling.
    Well guys I gotta go get some parts put in, and then rest for work tonight, but I'll check in before work, and see if anything is developing w/ Fancy's kit idea. Like I said I'm in. We just need to get some ideas rolling, and I'll get w/ those of you who are interested in turning this thing into a reality as we start development. If things get rolling.
    Last edited by fancydeadpool; 07-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.

3. Jump To Top | #3
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Alright so I guess, to bottom line it, this is what's needed.

--Research (fancydeadpool)
    ----Realistic production runs (initial run, Wave 0, 20-30 total figures made)
    ------That would mean 4-6 set's of 5 figures (a small MU wave size) or we could reduce figures made and increase sets produced. Either way I agree with Vortious and think 20-30 is a realistic run that will help sort out the kinks in the system. It will end up being more expensive per person and I don't think there is a way to defer costs from contributors/consumers. We might be able to reduce costs from people who contribute and buy but I don't know if they can be eliminated. We'll have to look at expenses vs who's interested and what happens after everything is done.
    ----Cost estimates (Tier 1: bag of parts = $30; Tier 2: assembled/unpainted = $48; Tier 3: assembled/painted = $66)

--Suggestions for figures
    ----Ideas
    ----Parts recipes
    ----Suppliers of existing parts for casting

--Consumers
    ----Interest (Optimus Vader=Kinpin)
    ----Prices willing to pay

--Contributors/Collaborators
    ----Engineering
    ----Fabrication for casting (PsychoPirate, Supertom)
    ----Casting/Molding (Vortious)
    ----Customizers (PsychoPirate, Supertom, Vortious)
    ----Experienced opinions/expertise (PsychoPirate, Supertom, Vortious)

--Volunteers/Workers
    ----Casters (Vortious)
    ----Finishers/Assemblers (fancydeadpool, shortysben)
    ----Painters (shortysben)

We'll need volunteers if we decide to produce finished figures. We'll need consumers to make it happen and we'll need talent regardless.

Sorry to post three times in a row.
    Last edited by fancydeadpool; 07-30-2013 at 05:38 PM.

4. Jump To Top | #4
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd be interested as a consumer and contributor. My skills right now are strongest in the area of making parts for casting.

5. Jump To Top | #5
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPirate View Post
    I'd be interested as a consumer and contributor. My skills right now are strongest in the area of making parts for casting.
    We'd love to have you, your Ant-Man is FANTASTIC so we're lucky your interested. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute, thank you.

6. Jump To Top | #6
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To get the ball rolling on figure ideas.

Squirrel Girl

Howard the Duck (made from his ML figure, upgraded articulation)

Dr. Bong (no idea but probably a Gladiator or Daredevil base)

Rocket Racoon (articulated like NoodleChow's or a mold of that one if he's cool, if he's not that's fine to)

Kid Deadpool (articulated)

Peter Porker Spider-Ham (no idea)

Patch version of Wolverine (could use a Dr. Jones torso and figure out the rest)

Mr. Fixit version of Hulk

Hit-Monkey

If we're going to do this might as well aim for obscure stuff that Hasbro will either never make or are very likely to not make. Or make drastic improvements to what's out there. They have done a number of "statues" that could be transformed into great figures.

Other thoughts:

X-Statix

Great Lakes Avengers (aka GLA, aka GLX)

X-Factor Investigations
    Last edited by fancydeadpool; 07-29-2013 at 05:44 AM.

7. Jump To Top | #7
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you're looking at making completely new bucks, I would love a "Big Guy in a Suit" buck.
    Then we could make:
    - Mr. Fixit
    - Kingpin
    - Maybe Hammerhead
    - Maybe Tombstone
    Add to this if you'd like

8. Jump To Top | #8
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Now the big question is how would you guys like to go with this a full figure that needs to be put together and painted by the buyer, a set of add-ons for existing figures, or a fully assembled, and painted figure? There are pros, and cons for each, but at the moment I'm kind of tired from work last night so I'm not all together.

For a large figure would you guys want the bare shirted style texture like the new Hulk, or a shirted/ smooth version like Juggy? I've kicked around a few ideas as to how a suited large figure kit could be put together. Re-sculpt the torso, and arms, and then the lower legs/ feet. King Pin, and Mr Fixit would have to use different torsos, but could use the same arms, and legs. Hammer Head, and Tombstone would be on a smaller large build body. Maybe Absorbing Man sized.

Keep in mind that for the first kit we don't want to go too over board on the size, or difficulty (we want it to be simple enough for a beginner, yet difficult enough for a seasoned customizer). I'm also only looking to do an initial run of about 20, maybe 30 to test the market, and the logistics of the system.

We need character/ build ideas, and parts lists for them.

I'll check back in this afternoon.

9. Jump To Top | #9
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think painting should be optional.

10. Jump To Top | #10
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would love to have a Guido/Strong man from X-Factor and or Wolfsbane.

11. Jump To Top | #11
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I second the wolfsbane figure.
    Got that one figure you can't find on your own but really want and can't bring yourself to pay the scalper prices? Check out:

http://www.mucollectorclub.com/forum...kin-out-thread

Post what you want and other mucc'ers will give ya a hand.

12. Jump To Top | #12
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well my experience in stuff like this it's important to find the line between over simplifying where you don't have enough flexibility/coverage and too much on one person and over complicating it to a point where no one can understand what's going on. So if this is starting to get over complicated let me know.

How about three tiers of purchase:

--Least expensive
    ----Bag of parts that has to be done by scratch from buyer
    I just got a couple of kits from Vortious and I have to say one one hand I'm really excited about finishing them because when I'm done I'll have something I "made" but on the other it's a time consuming process. I think I'd still choose this option.
    ----Will need: casting/molding

--Next most expensive
    ----Finished and assembled but not painted
    Could just be finished if painting is easier for people pre-assembly. I've been practicing my painting skills but totally disassembly of an assembled figures scares me a bit so I've been making due with painting assembled figures.
    ----Will need: Casting/molding, finishers and assemblers

--Most expensive option
    ----Finished, assembled and painted
    A total figure. I would prioritize them last since they are the most complicated so they would have the longest estimated completion time but you could get the thing and put it on a shelf or play with it. I would want "wet paint" issues, I'd want it to be a quality figure so it would take time to go from parts to paint.
    ----Will need: Casting/molding, finishers, assemblers, painters

This is the sort of the stuff I'm good at (I know, it's not much) so this and finishing is what I can do. I'll need to practice finishing but I've hand finished metal components before so plastic shouldn't be too hard once I get through a learning curve (any tips would be helpful).

The biggest problem would be division of labor across the US. We can find ways to collaborate, through threads and chat and email but when it comes to doing the work (casting/finishing/painting) this could get complicated. Same with international shipping, if we want to help our non-US friends (which I do). But I have ideas. The more this get's fleshed out the more excited I am by it, if we can continue to get some great talent involved and, of course, people wanting to buy them, this will be awesome. As people get interesting I'll add names to the Bottom Line list which is the third post.

13. Jump To Top | #13
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snailbot View Post
    If you're looking at making completely new bucks, I would love a "Big Guy in a Suit" buck.
    Then we could make:
    - Mr. Fixit
    - Kingpin
    - Maybe Hammerhead
    - Maybe Tombstone
    Add to this if you'd like
    Agreed, if we were to make different sizes of suited buck there are a whole range of people that could get made. It's amazing how many villain's are just guys in suits. But a Kingpin would be fantastic. So would a Tombstone. Great idea.

14. Jump To Top | #14
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesvws82 View Post
    I would love to have a Guido/Strong man from X-Factor and or Wolfsbane.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDub View Post
    I second the wolfsbane figure.
    Both great ideas. We could get a Strong Guy head from the Kenner figure. I've seen a version of it done using the V1 MU Hulk buck but we might be able to come up with something better. Wolfsbane is pretty awesome as well, the fur might be hard though, will have to see what can be done.

15. Jump To Top | #15
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd be up for making a few custom heads. I absolutely SUCK at casting so I'd have to send them off to Vortious.
    If you'd like to support Supertom Customs, see exclusive WIP pics, have the chance to vote on my next project, and receive exclusive commission opportunities, please check out my
    Supertom Customs Patreon Page

Supertom's Custom Thread

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
Back To The Home Page